Sunday 5 March 2017

Lean on...

Once I made my steps into the university, I was eager to move out. Now that it is time to move out, I cannot make myself understand why in the first place I wanted a way out of this beautiful place which has given me immense memories to cherish and a bunch of people to make me realise that time does not make you wise, you are responsible for your own changes. You do not want to feel a day older but the memories have turned you moments older and you don't mind going down memory lane again with your friends, whether it is talking about the nasty argument you had with that girl or whether it was the prank gone wrong with one of your professors. 

You may even have had instances of a crush over your junior or senior mates and one of those heartbreaks that changed your life forever. Nevertheless, you look back upon the boy who helped you understand the nuances of a complicated relationship that meant much more than friendship to the girl who made you feel bad in your own skin like those relatives who await your doom so they can blame it all on your parents. You take a stroll down the dust laden streets of the campus and witness the new admits enjoying the string of stories pulled across by the juice vendor, much like a way to attract the students, eager to learn about the forgotten stories of their old professors. 

You chance upon the cobbler by the hostel gate to the innumerable attendants smiling back at you so you could perhaps spare a change or two for them while you had a hard time maintaining that crease less shirt yourself after the placements were over and a dozen of other friends had borrowed it to test their share of luck at the interview sessions when you had gotten through. You miss borrowing a sum from your buddy while your folks at home had no clue where you had spent it all and you miss the thrill of running to the management office to get things done and issues resolved as if you were the Emperor's successor and they would succumb to the pressure of your words. You envy those with the perfect body while the others might envy you for reasons known to you alone.

You hear that playlist over and over again, get bored and yet stick to your routine just for the reasons best known to you and your room mate who knows all your secrets. From hiding calls from your parents to making the  best excuses when you were not around, you owe it to them. Then there will be the cool batch you were fortunate to find since they experienced it all with you and know you inside out. Ever made your folks at home wonder what caused that mood swing? I did and I owe it all to my folks at my home at University. From the pangs of depression to the jitters of getting a new idea to write a new blog to the exhilaration of getting admitted to a new University for further studies, I relied on my buds who blossomed with me every season, no matter how much woes were shed off during Autumn, we sure stuck to our roots.

Now that there is a new river I chose to take a dive in, I know there were many sediments I left by the banks as memories and before I make my way to the ocean of opportunities, I wish to thank the pebbles because they were with me when it all started. I remember throwing pebbles in the water while I was a kid, thinking about when I would grow up and I found them while I swam my way to the river, some hit me and some helped me stay closer to the grounds by burdening me. Today they stand on my way again, reminding me of where I started from and that I had come a long way. I realised then that it was never about the story you write and it never will be. Instead I lean on to the stories that chose me to write down my part in them and make history.

No comments:

Post a Comment